Saturday, October 16, 2010

Alice In Chains, Deftones & Mastodon @ The New Joint


I cant believe it's been 17 years since I last saw Alice In Chains - and 11 since I'd seen the Deftones so I was really looking forward to tonight's show.

To start though it was Mastodon, who I've seen twice before and really like. Except for the sound, they played a great set. It's a shame their set was so short though only - 35 minutes. Still Mastodon ripped through some great songs - Crystal Skull being my favorite.

Mastodon Setlist The Joint at Hard Rock Hotel, Las Vegas, NV, USA 2010, Blackdiamondskye


It wasn't long before the Deftones hit the stage, and they did so at full speed. The band were in fine form and all looked like they rather be nowhere else. Fur and Summer were incredibly awesome! And to be 30 feet from the stage was great. Strangely the Vegas crowd did really get into it - though this is something that happens a lot in this town. I must make an effort to see the Deftones again soon - their energy is unsurpassed by any band I've seen in a while.

Deftones Setlist The Joint at Hard Rock Hotel, Las Vegas, NV, USA 2010, Blackdiamondskye


It was mixed emotions about seeing Alice In Chains tonight. Obviously to see them with out Layne is not for the "purists", hence I couldn't get Amy to come tonight, but still they have so many great songs that still need to be heard. So I went with an open mind. Just like the Horden in 93, AIC opened with a white screen across the front of the stage and different members of the band walking on - only their shadows showing. The hit of the first drums of Them Bones and the curtain dropped and the band were in full force. This was the last show of a quick 1 month tour through the US and while I'd read some not so flattering reviews, those people should have been at this show. AIC was smart enough to know that people want to hear the old stuff and put just a few new songs in the set. Every song better than the last. And as for William Duval - he is a more than suitable front man - even for Alice In Chains. His voice is spot on and anyone who may have had reservations would have left with a different opinion. Great show!

Alice in Chains Setlist The Joint at Hard Rock Hotel, Las Vegas, NV, USA 2010, Blackdiamondskye



The Crap Facts:
This is my 303rd concert.
This is my 7th concert at The New Joint.
This is my 99th concert in Las Vegas.
This is my 99th concert in Nevada.
This is my 111th concert in the USA.
This is my 3rd Mastodon concert.
This is my 2nd Deftones concert.
This is my 2nd Alice In Chains concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment