Monday, June 8, 1998

Moen, Norway to Hammerfest, Norway

No time for sightseeing in Moen today, as we continue on to the northernmost point of the trip – Hammerfest.

We left our camp site early, and made our first stop in Olderdalen, where the weather seemed considerably colder.

Olderdalen, Norway

Between there and out next stop, Alta, we pulled over to the side of the road, in the middle of nowhere, to take photos of the beautiful fjords and snow-capped mountains.

Not much to tell you about Alta, except we ate some nice banana rolls. After lunch I got my first ever sleep on the bus. I’ve tried to stay awake as much as possible, knowing I’ll probably never see these countries again, but today was the limit or me. When I woke, I saw the most barren countryside I had seen so far on this trip. Snow and dirt covered bare trees on smallish hills. Why anyone would live here is way beyond me!

We arrived in Hammerfest at seven pm and our camp site was up on a hill south-west of the fishing village. It is here things got a little crazy. Considering it was summer, I was surprised when we got off the bus to 7oC, but the wind chill on top of that made it amazingly bitter.

We all went down the hill to watch some of the group take the Polar Plunge. Down to their swimming costumes and into the freezing water of the Barents Sea. I wish I had of tried it, but I was neither brave, nor crazy enough to try.

Polar Plungers, Hammerfest, Norway

After dinner most of us crammed into Spencer, Flea, Carcass & Ben’s room for our Midnight Sun Party. Hammerfest has 71 days of continuous sunlight during the summer months, but tonight it was cloudy, raining and, at one stage, snowing, so we missed the phenomenon. Considering how cold it is here, I don’t think I’ll be back to try my luck again. Hopefully the weather will be more agreeable tomorrow. The party, however, raged on to the early hours of the morning.

Cabin Party, Hammerfest, Norway

No comments:

Post a Comment