Saturday, May 25, 2024

Punk Rock Bowling @ Downtown Events Center


This morning we got up earlyish and drove down to the Punk Rock Museum.  We only decided on this last night, and opted for an early start, given the weekend.  Dave met Erik & I there and we had the place to ourselves for the first half an hour or so.  Dave is an annual memmer, so we had our own personal tour guide for the first hour, til he had to leave and meet Dee. The museum is great, plenty of memorabilia from the last 50 years of punk (mostly American).  Dave says they rotate stuff through their regularly, he sees new stuff every visit.  I liked the Pennywise garage.  If we'd known we'd have stayed longer, as Guitar Wolf played and hour after we left.

We hid from the heat back at Erik's house before we headed downtown to the show at around 3pm.  Erik dropped me off, as he was going to his godson's graduation first.  Within moments of getting through the gate, I hooked up with Dave and we went into the smaller stage to see Teen Mortgage (he'd already got in early to buy merchandise and see a couple of bands).  Teen Mortgage was a great start.  This 2 piece had a fantastic energy and sound, and the lucky few that were there early enough really dug it.

Into the main stage area to catch The Skatalites.  In the early afternoon heat, the Jamaican band bought a very mellow vibe.  Like the Specials 5 years ago, The Skatalites left everyone relaxed - not in a frenetic condition like the rest of the days punk bands.  After running into Ricardo from Trader Joes, we disappeared, before the end of the set.  Though we could hear a ska version of Viva Las Vegas in the middle of the Guns of Navarone.


999 were on the small stage next.  Old school English punk from the late 70s.  Dave knew of this band, but I'd never heard of them.  It was basically a half hour of hard driven rock.  Good show that would've been better if I was more familiar with the content.

Back into the main stage for Lagwagon and the first relatively big crowd.  I never got into this band.  They have the Fat Wreck Chords sound that is only best used by NoFX.  Most of these unknown to me songs, sounded the same, and yeah I can tick them off a list of bands I've seen, but probably not again.


Back at the smaller stage, Madball united a crowd not only out from, but on stage as well.  I don't knw who was watching from onstage, but it seemed like family and New York Hardcore royalty hanging out with friends.  I don't know any Madball songs, but like Gorilla Biscuits and H2O at Riot Fest, this band put on a show.  And the people loved it!  Lead singer, Freddy Madball, was having a great time.  As was his 8 year old daughter.  Watching on stage, she knew the beat of every song , and joined dad for a song, and played it like she'd been on stage forever.  She had all of dad's moves down and was not afraid to come to the front of the the stage for the crowd.  Freddie's son also joined dad for a song, though he seemed a little more reserved - hanging back as dad covered the whole stage.  This may have been the most fun set of the day.


Billy Bragg was definitely a big drawcard for me.  I was supposed to see him 18 months ago in Raleigh. But I got Covid and had to miss out.  He labeled himself pretty well.  As much a punk, as a folk hero, or great story teller.  I thought it brave for him to be up there on his own, mixing great stories both with and without music, which really suited the audiences beliefs.  Erik finally joined us just after the start of the set.  Sexuality was great to hear.  Woodie Guthrie's All You Fascists Are Bound To Lose got the biggest cheer of the day.  Waiting For The Great Leap Forward was the song I wanted (and got).  It was perfect.  And the closing A New England was a song I forgot I knew, and a great end to his too short set.
 

Back to the smaller stage for the ever ready Gorilla Biscuits.  Again their positive message and hardcore beats were a great mix for a good show.  From the opening trumpet of New Direction, Civ came to dance.  He had a blast, and was in the crowd as often as he was skankin' around the stage for the entire set.  And the band's energy was matched by an enthusiastic crowd up front, and an out of control pit.  While this set didn't reach the heights of Riot Fest las September, it was still a damn good show.


Too many people at Gorilla Biscuits means we didn't get back for the start of the Descendents closing set.  Of course we got our spor and I went to get a drink of water and they played the 1 song I knew, I Like Food.  All 17 seconds of it.  This is my 4th time seeing them, I should probably get better at knowing their songs.  They are short and sharp.  The loyal Southern Californians were soaking it up, but just after halfway through, Erik & I had had enough (Dave had gone after the Gorilla Biscuits) and made our way back to the car, listening to the rest of the gig walking through the streets.


On the way out I picked up the obligatory festival shirt to add to my collection of too many black shirts.  I good first day.  Hot, but not Las Vegas extreme, and I enjoyed all I heard.  Looking forward to continuing tomorrow.  I was in bed within 10 minutes of getting back to Erik's, and asleep within 2 minutes of that - still on East Coast time.

The Crap Facts:
This is my 505th concert.
This is my 5th concert at The Downtown Events Center.
This is my 151st concert in Las Vegas.
This is my 151st concert in Nevada.
This is my 306th concert in the USA.
Teen Mortgage are the 581st band I've seen.
Teen Mortgage are the 250th time I've seen a band in Las Vegas & Nevada.
The Skatalites are the 582nd band I've seen.
999 are the 583rd band I've seen.
Lagwagon are the 584th band I've seen.
Madball are the 585th band I've seen.
This is my 2nd Billy Bragg show.
This is my 2nd Gorilla Biscuits show.
This is my 4th Descendants show.

No comments:

Post a Comment