Friday, July 21, 2023

Magic Dirt @ Entrance Leagues Club


23 years since I last saw Magic Dirt (playing at the Gold Coast Big Day Out in 2000).  How lucky they are playing at The Entrance Leagues Club while I'm at home.  It was a no-brainer that K & I would go to the show.

With some time to kill we drove down to The Entrance to have some dinner.  Unfortuantely this is not the place I remember as a kid, or a teenager for that matter.  This once vibrant tourist town is a shadow of its former self.  Gone are the bingo halls, pinball parlours, and people in general.  We drove past quite a few empty restaraunts before heading to Saigon Chopsticks, where we had dinner.  I don't dine at many different places since we left Vegas 10 years ago, but I still am a fan of a nice meal in a Fine dining restaurant.  Having said that, I do miss the casualness of Australia, and the Central Coast in particular.  This restaurant was the epitome of that.  We could've been in someone's dining room it was that casual.  But the food was outstanding (as is usually the case for Asian food in Australia).

I had been trying to find out all day what time Magic Dirt were coming on, but getting no help from the club.  So it was a bit of a suprise to get there at 8pm only to find out they weren't on till 10.30pm.  Shit!  Anyway K & I ended up getting a drink and just talking in front of the footy in one of the lounges.  After so many years apart it's always good to catch up on some rare one on one time with my sister.  We walked into the venue, got our spot and it wasn't long before Magic Dirt were on stage and tearing into the Young & Full of the Devil album, which they are playing in full to celebrate its 25th year.  She RIff and Rabbit With Fangs are the only 2 songs I know off the album, but Adilita and her boys played the album like their life depended on it.  Once the album was done, they launched into Redhead, my favorite Magic Dirt song.  It was a ripper.  Worth travelling half wasy accross the world just to hear that song.  A very cool version of Dirty Jeans finished off the 13 song set and Magic Dirt walked off to a (finally) hyped up crowd.  Moments later they came back on to finish it all with Bring Me The Head Of...

This is my 7th time seeing Magic Dirt.  They have come a long way since I saw them play in the front bar at Max's at Petersham back in 1993.  That night they were playing between bands, who in the main room.  People were shuffling out between Screamfeeder, Crow and Pavement.  I believe it was there first ever Sydney show.  They didn't do much to impress me then, but each subsequent show got better.  Their Gold Coast Big Day out show in 2000 was mid-afternoon awesomeness.  I'm glad they're still playing, and tearing it up on stage.  I wish I was old enough (and in the right place) to enjoy the great sounds of G-Troit back in the day.  I finished the night by grabbing a vinyl copy of Signs of Satanic Youth so I can relive Redhead over and over again.

Magic Dirt Setlist


The Crap Facts:
This is my 487th concert.
The Entrance Leagues Club is the 134th venue I've seen a concert at.
Bateau Bay is the 56th city I've seen concert in.
This is my 185th concert in New South Wales.
This is my 188th concert in Australia.
This is my 7th Magic Dirt concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment