Monday, May 8, 2023

The Flaming Lips @ Fillmore


So this is the first time I am making the most of my new part job working the box office here at the Fillmore.  A free show, and the Flaming Lips.  Can't go wrong.  I take Mike, Sanders and Ben with me.  And Cam and her neighbors are there, as is Nicole.  Big show for her.  The Flaming Lips are apparently a favorite of Matt's, she has camped herself on the front barricade and surrounded herself with some good friends.

The Fillmore is packed, and made more crowded by the Flaming Lips inflatables in the crowd.  They are playing Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, and 2 large inflatible pink robots make it nearly impossible to see the stage.  (and we are on the right side, near the front of the stage).  I don't know much of this album but the show is as great as a Flaming Lips show always is.  For me, obviously knowing only these 2 songs, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots and Do You Realize?? are the standouts.

When they left the stage and the inflatibles were taken away, I assumed they'd come back on and do an encore.  But it was a whole other set.  Starting with my favorite song of theirs, She Don't Use Jelly.  A completely different cover of Madonna's Borderline was another highlight for this 8 song set.

Again they left the stage only to come back for a final 3 songs.  One of which, Feeling Yourself Disingergrate, Wayne performed in his bubble, but he stayed on stage and didn't venture out into the crowd, like he did last time I saw them here in 2017. Actually he seemed cautious with a lot of props.  Maybe they had problems last time here, on throughout this tour, and were holding back a bit.  Anywho, another great show from them and I sit and wait until the next time I get to see them.


The Crap Facts:
This is my 485th concert.
This is my 27th show at Fillmore.
This is my 99th show in Charlotte.
This is my 118th show in North Carolina.
This is my 288th concert in the US.
This is my 5th Flaming Lips Show.

No comments:

Post a Comment