Saturday, August 6, 2022

Everclear @ Village Park

I can't believe it has been 13 years since I last saw Everclear (back in Vegas, before kids) but I made the 45-minute drive up to Kannapolis to check out this free show, despite the doom and gloom the weather had in mind.  I'd been hearing about storms all afternoon, so it was always going to be last minute before I left the house.  I even gave up the chance to see Charlotte FC again tonight.  That's where A and the boys ended up.

While I wanted to see Fastball as well I arrived about 10 minutes before the end of their set and it was still raining, so I sat in my car.  I did hear them finish with The Way, not realizing that was their song.  Everclear was due on at 9.15pm, so I left the comfort of the dry car with 5 minutes to spare and walked over to find the park full of families ready to rock - I can't imagine how many people would've been there if the weather was bad.

And it was good from the get go!  Electra Made Me Blind straight into a slowed-down version of Heroin Girl.  I remember this from last time, songs weren't played quite as fast as I remembered them - I kept singing ahead of the band.  Father Of Mine was a big hit with the crowd.  When asked to sing, they turned it on for this song.  The second half of the set, saw fewer songs I new, but I Will Buy You A New Life was great.  I had been right down the front to the right of stage the whole show and the sound wasn't great (a mistake I continue to make), and as usual I found the group of people that needed to talk incessantly throughout the show.  Shut up or fuck off!  Why are you even here?  Anyway I moved back to behind the mixing desk where the sound was great (though my eyesight is fading rapidly).  A grungy version of Thin Lizzy's The Boys Are Back In Town (with the Nixon's Zac Maloy sharing lead vocals) was followed by the eagerly received Santa Monica.  As it finished I was near the exit, ready to leave like a Progressive commercial, when Everclear squeezed in The Vasoline's Molly's Lips to close out the night.  

A great night and a show from a great band.  You could tell they were happy to be playing, both in general and because it looked like the weather could have ruined the whole night.  It seemed like the band enjoyed the family atmosphere.  And while I revel in the sound and speed of Everclear when I first saw them in 1996, this version still knows how to rock a crowd, even after 30 years.  I'll be back to see them next time they come through town - and will also keep and eye open for more shows at this great little amphitheater.

Everclear Setlist

The Crap Facts:
This is my 477th concert.
Village Park is the 131st venue I've seen a concert in.
Kannapolis is the 55th city I've seen a concert in.
This is my 111th show in North Carolina.
This is my 280th concert in the US.
This is my 4th Everclear show.

No comments:

Post a Comment