Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Ray LaMontagne & Neko Case @ CMCU Amphitheater


Definitely a tale of 2 opposites in performance tonight.  Amy was excited to see Ray La Montaigne, but I was looking forward to Neko Case opening.  I own her Blacklisted album, and while it is generally what I'd listen to all the time, Case has this voice which is hauntingly passionate.  Case and her band came out while the sun still shone and entertained those of us fortunate enough to get there early.  She looked like she was enjoying being on stage, and was humbled by the crowd's response.  Although she didn't play a song I was familiar with, her performance made me want to find more of her music, and hope one day we'll see her do a headlining show.

On the other hand I did not get that feeling from LaMontagne.  He stage presence and communication with the crowd was non-existent.  Again I didn't know any of his stuff, yet Amy waited for a few favorites which he didn't play.  Apparently his set only contained songs from the 3 albums he had released in the last 4 years.  Nothing older - that Amy wanted.  It's not often that Amy is the instigator of us going to a concert, so I wanted her to see it all and enjoy, but I can't say I wasn't relieved when she said she was happy to leave before he came back out for his encore.

LaMontagne's band and voice were on point and, as always, there was a ton of people who had a great night and really enjoyed the show.  It just wasn't for Amy and I.

Ray LaMontagne Setlist Charlotte Metro Credit Union Amphitheatre, Charlotte, NC, USA 2018, Part of the Light


The Crap Facts:
This is my 441st concert.
This is my 10th concert at CMCU Amphitheater.
This is my 74th concert in Charlotte.
This is my 84th concert in North Carolina.
This is my 247th concert in the USA.
Neko Case is the 507th band I've seen.
Ray LaMontagne is the 508th band I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment