Wednesday, September 21, 2016

The Cult & The New Regime @ Fillmore


Show starts at 8pm and I can't see any sign of an opening act, so I'm there just after 8 and The New Regime is on stage.  I assume people felt the same way I did as there are quite a few people here to see this opening act.  Straight forward rock, which got better as the set went on.  An energetic start that The Cult can build on.

It's only taken another 6 years to see my 3rd Cult show (not like the 15 years previously), and they still have it.  Wild Flower is a great opener. All the crowd is familiar with this song and the place is jumping early on.  While I like a lot of the early 90's Cult, they played a great mix of new and old, with the stuff from the newest album, Hidden City, being really good.  But that set ended with a perfect crescendo of Sweet Soul Sister, Firewoman (my fave Cult song), Phoenix and the fantastic She Sells Sanctuary.  Ian Astbury did everything he could to keep the energy up for the whole set, including banishing the statuesque bouncers from the front of the stage and having the distracting TV's turned off (that annoys me more than anything at the Fillmore).  And his stage presence is one of experience, and a love of what he does.  I'd forgotten how good a Cult show was.  Only a 2 song encore, but Love Removal Machine had everyone leaving on a high.

On a side note from the concert, tonight was the worst night of protesting, which unfortunately turned to rioting, in Charlotte, after the police shooting of Keith Scott.  Amy had texted me during the show telling me to avoid downtown.  I have to drive through there to get home from the Fillmore, but found a way to skirt the edge of the city.  And thankfully so.  While the area I drove though was eerily quite, except for the buzz of activity of first responders awaiting the worst at the fire station on Church and 9th, I could see a lot of police lights throughout the city.  When I got home I watched it all unravel on television, and drove only 3 blocks away from where the worst of it took place.  Let's hope the city and its people can come to a peaceful outcome sooner rather than later.  And most importantly that real protesters get their message across and not suffer injustices that are a consequence of rioters.

The Cult Setlist The Fillmore, Charlotte, NC, USA 2016, Alive in the Hidden City


The Crap Facts:
This is my 412th concert.
This is my 17th concert at The Fillmore.
This is my 52nd concert in Charlotte.
This is my 58th concert in North Carolina.
This is my 220th concert in the USA.
The New Regime are the 487th band I've seen.
This is my 3rd Cult concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment