Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Melvins & Helms Alee @ Amos


It is not as often that I go to a gig, nowadays, and catch the opening band if I don't know who they are.  But not knowing what time the Melvins came on I got to Amos not long before Helms Alee took the stage.  This in part was due to the fact that I got a parking spot out the front of the venue - a miracle for South End.  I did read the parking signs 4 times before I was sure that my luck was real.

Helms Alee had me from the start.  Their first song swung between metal riffs with guitar player, Ben Verellen, screaming vocals to the melodic harmonies of bass player, Dana James, and drummer, Hozoji Margullis.  Margullis continued this week's trend of amazing drummers (even before Dale Crover takes the stage).  The rest of the set, though not vocally mixed well, definitely won over the Charlotte crowd.  Helms Alee are a great band, who fit the opening bill of a Melvins show perfectly.

I love a Melvins gig.  This is the first time Melvins have played in Charlotte in the 3 1/2 years I've lived here, so it was nice not to have to drive to the Cat's Cradle to see them this time.  Melvins are the band that no one else sounds like.  In their own world - blistering rock riffs - impeccable drumming, and, of course, a different bass player since the last time I saw them (Red Kross/OFF!'s Steve McDonald).   Having said that, I was ready for the 10 minute Eye Flys opener to be finished.  Straight into Kiss' Deuce and then a favorite of mine, Queen.  As usual there were a lot of songs I didn't know, but it seems they played something from 9 different albums including 3 from the new Basses Loaded.  The set finished with Helms Alee coming back on stage to play Night Goat and then both bands doing an acapella Take Me Out To The Ball Game (not what I'd expect to hear at a Melvins show - but that's to be expected!?!).

Another musically sound performance from the Melvins.  Again I didn't get Honeybucket (that's 8 shows - you'd think I'd hear it at least once), but that means I'll be back again when they are in town.  Unfortunately that is not likely to be this venue, as it was announced last week Amos' will close in January.  Apparently this is in the name of progress, but with the Chop Shop and Tremont closing recently and the forecoming closure of the Double Door Inn, it is sad to see a great venue, that plays a good variety of bands (not necessarily what I like), close.  I expect to see another set of condo/apartments being built on this space this time next year - like that's what this city needs!

Melvins Setlist Amos' Southend, Charlotte, NC, USA 2016, Basses Loaded North American Tour


The Crap Facts:
This is my 412th concert.
This is my 3rd concert at Amos.
This is my 50th concert in Charlotte.
This is my 56th concert in North Carolina.
This is my 218th concert in the USA.
Helms Alee are the 485th band I've seen.
This is my 8th Melvins concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment