Monday, May 16, 2016

Bloc Party, The Vaccines & Oscar @ The Fillmore



Where are you Charlotte?  It's Bloc Party!  I know it's a school night, but this turn out is feeble.  All the more room for the rest of us, but hope this doesn't stop the band coming back on the next tour.  I got to the Fillmore early (I think willing an early start so I could go and see Screaming Females at The Station afterwards) and the curtain blocked off half the venue, indicating not a lot of people coming to the show.

I stood near the back for Oscar.  The art-pop musician and his band didn't really do much to catch my attention.  Same goes for the Vaccines.  I had heard some hype about this English band.  But not unlike last weeks Silversun Pickups show, they put on a good show, but nothing that set them apart (again, for me only).

Because of the smallish crowd, I moved closer to the stage for Bloc Party and found myself a great spot, leaning against on the the posts,  people back from the band.  After Kele finally solved a feedback problem, the band launched into Only He Can Heal me from their latest Hymns album.  The audience listened intently, like they were sussing out how the new stuff sounded.  Then Hunting For Witches got the crowd in the right mood for the rest of the evening.  The band played a good mix from all of their albums.  Obviously a lot of new stuff with a new album to promote, but Positive Tension, Song For Clay (Disappear Here) and Banquet were fantastic.  And the four song encore was as close to perfection as you can get.  Waiting For The 7.18, Price Of Gas, Ratchet (fast becoming one of my favorite songs, and an absolute barn-burner live) and lastly the great Helicopter to finish of the night.

It had peen 4 years since the last Bloc Party show and their live shows are getting better.  Again I hope crowd numbers don't stop them coming back, because this is a great band who put on a show. Kele has a great stage presence, and the band is tight, and the music energetic and fun.

I left the Fillmore and drove over to the Station.  I'd heard it was more of a later night venue, and thought I may have been able to catch the Screaming Females, but as I got to the front door, the band had just finished up their set.  I, and they, were in Asheville last night.  I should have gotten off my lazy arse and seen them there.  I'm sure there will be a next time.

Bloc Party Setlist The Fillmore, Charlotte, NC, USA 2016, Hymns


The Crap Facts:
This is my 403rd concert.
This is my 16th concert at The Fillmore.
This is my 45th concert in Charlotte.
This is my 50th concert in North Carolina.
This is my 211th concert in the USA.
Oscar are the 475th band I've seen.
The Vaccines are the 476th band I've seen.
This is my 5th Bloc Party concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment