Sunday, May 18, 2014

Primus @ Thomas Wolfe Auditorium, Asheville, NC




Road Trip!

So the closest Primus played to Charlotte was Asheville so I took the night to drive the 2.5 hours and stay the night in town.

Kind of poorly organised.  I walked into the theater with no one checking security or scanning my ticket.  Then the seated auditorium was first come first serve on the seats.  While I was too late to stand up front with a small crowd, I did get a 5th row seat on an isle.

As advertised, Primus walked out right at 8pm to start a 2 hour show.  Broken into 2 sets, I was surprised to see that they were using the same astronaut back drop the had when I last saw them in Vegas in 2010.  However this did not take away from the music.

As usual, it was hard to take my eyes away from Les Claypool.  He just makes bass playing look so easy.  Having said that, it does take away from the other 2 who are incredible musicians in their own right.  From the Those Damn Blue Collar Tweekers opener, it was a great 1st set with Southbound Pachyderm and (especially) My Name Is Mud being the outstanding songs.  But mention must be made to the South Park Theme in the middle of Over The Falls - just to make sure the crowd were still with them.

After a quick break, we got not just an encore but a whole other set.  While all I wanted was my 2 favorites (Mr Krinkle - who in 6 shows they've never played - and Tommy The Cat), Wynona's Big Brown Beaver near the end of the set had the two-thirds full venue jumping.

I always watch the musician side of Primus in awe.  The are great at what they do and tight as a unit.  I am no musician, but you can't not be blown away that the universe has put these 3 gentlemen together to create unique rock, incomparable to any band I've ever heard.  Looking forward to the next time I see them - with some Mr Krinkle.

Primus Setlist Thomas Wolfe Auditorium, Asheville, NC, USA 2014, 2014 Spring Tour


The Crap Facts:
This is my 373rd concert.
Thomas Wolf Auditorium is the 103rd venue I've seen a concert.
Asheville is the 44th city I've seen a concert
This is my 25th concert in North Carolina.
This is my 181st concert in the USA.
This is my 6th Primus concert.
Primus is the 850th time I've seen a band.

No comments:

Post a Comment