Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Foals & Surfer Blood @ Visulite


I love going to a show to see one band and getting into both of them.  This was the case for the Foals and Surfer Blood.  

I had been given Surfer Blood's Astro Coast and was stoked to find they would be playing within walking distance of the house at the Visulite (instead of the no too far Neighborhood Theater, after a change of venue).  Got to the venue to find it packed (a little different to 11 years ago seeing Reverend Horton Heat here) and arrived as Surfer Blood were tuning up onstage.  It didn't take long before they were lulling us with their gentle melodic rock.  They played a great set including some new songs of an upcoming album. Highlight was singer John's walk through the venue during Take It Easy.

In contrast I knew that Foals were English and on Sub Pop.  2 pretty good references for a rock band as far as I'm concerned.  Foals were polar opposites of Surfer Blood - music was angular and very high energy.  Considering I knew not a song - this was a great show.  While they seemed almost cramped for space on the small Visulite stage, lead singer Yannis covered every inch of the stage as well as spending 2 songs in the crowd.  Speaking of which, this crowd was into it.  The place was packed to the rafters and everyone was moving to Foals.  Highlights were the opener Inhaler, Olympic Airways and then Two Steps Twice, which closed the encore

I hope I get to see them again.  I bought Antidotes when I got home so next time I might be more familiar with the music.  Surely the only way to make the show better.

Foals Setlist Visulite Theatre, Charlotte, NC, USA 2013, Holy Fire

The Crap Facts:
This is my 352nd concert.
This is my 2nd concert at Visulite.
This is my 5th concert in Charlotte.
This is my 5th concert in North Carolina.
This is my 160th concert in the USA.
Surfer Blood are the 416th band I've seen.
Foals are the 417th band I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment