Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Down & Melvins @ House Of Blues



The Melvins - one of the most unique bands anywhere - and one that I haven't seen often enough (this was my 4th Melvins show). It seems like an odd mix, Melvins supporting Down, but it works for me. The Melvins walked on stage while the house lights were still on, to no fanfare and just started to rock as only they can. Moz saw them earlier in the year play Houdini in Sydney as a 3 piece, but tonight they were back to a 4 piece twin-drum musical assault. Big fan of the guys from Big Business being in the band - same line up from when I saw them at Celebrity a couple of years back. I love the Houdini and Stoner Witch albums, so the setlist tonight was unfamiliar to me, but a highlight was definitely a blistering cover of Devo's Mr DNA. We certainly got a full 45 minutes out of the band as "Thank You" were the only spoken words from the band as they finished their set.

Crowd seemed a restless at the end of the Melvins, and when Down come on they went out of control. I've never seen the HOB security have such a rough night - but I gotta say they did a pretty good job. I saw Pantera 13 years ago in Oz, and had an absolute blast, so was pretty interested to see Phil and Rex's latest incarnation. So there was a bit of disappointment when there was no Rex. And I'm not sure if Phil's voice or the sound guy were having problems, but it took a while for them to get in the swing of things. When they did, however, Down put on a good show. Which means the band and crowd compliment each other. A small but wild pit middled the fans singing along with fists raised, while constantly the band stopped to acknowledge their legion of fans. I'm not really one for metal anymore, and while I probably won't see them again, I'm glad I got to see Down.

Down Setlist House of Blues, Las Vegas, NV, USA 2009




The Crap Facts:
This is my 289th concert.
This is my 32nd concert at House Of Blues.
This is my 88th concert in Las Vegas.
This is my 88th concert in Nevada.
This is my 97th concert in the USA.
This is my 4th Melvins concert.
Melvins are the 50th band I've seen at least 4 times
Down are the 360th band I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment