Monday, July 20, 2009

Chicago, IL to Las Vegas, NV

One last day on the town, before returning to the nasty summer that is Hell Vegas.

For some ungodly reason, Robbie had the need to see Chicago from the Sears Tower. I wonder how long, if ever, it will take for it to be known as Willis Tower (NEVER! is my guess). So we walked over to the Tower and while Robbie made his way up the tower, I kept my fear of heights in tact, and zigzagged my way over bridges on the Chicago River. I was back before him, so I relaxed with a paper and a smoothie in the park across the street.

Once done, we followed the river up to Michigan Ave, where we met Amy. She had meetings in the morning. A last minute shop on the Magnificent Mile before we jumped on a 90 minute Wendella architecture cruise of the Chicago River and Lake Michigan. Amy and I had done a similar cruise last time we were here with the Meyers', but this was longer, included going through a lock into Lake Michigan, and was far warmer than doing it in November. The cruise travels west along the river (towards Sears Tower ironically enough) and our guide outlined tons of the buildings, old and new, visible from the river. Out on the lake gave us a great overall perspective of the city as well as an opportunity to get a feeling of how Chicago was built after the Great Fire. I feel like I've learnt more in the last 4 days than I have in a very long time.


Cruising Chicago River

As it happens, time was running short and the South Water Grill was between the boat cruise and our hotel so we stopped there for lunch (again) before taking the taxi out to O'Hare. We dumped Robbie off at the American terminal before swinging back to United for our flight back home. Which went off without incident (unlike the previous two trips Amy and I have made together).

I need to reiterate how great a city Chicago is - maybe one day we'll live there - who knows. Was great to catch up with Bob again, even if his lovely wife snubbed us again. Hope to see him in the new year when if head back to Australia. Chicago is our kinda town!

No comments:

Post a Comment