Thursday, June 4, 2009

Santana @ The New Joint


Ahhh!!! The benefits of being a Concierge. Tonight we were invited to see the Supernatural: A Journey Through The Hits show at the Hard Rock’s Joint. So Amy and I head down early for a dinner at Pink Taco – we used to eat here every Friday when we lived behind the hotel, but hadn’t been for ages. Half price appetizers and 2-4-1 beers at the bar – a good meal done for $14.

Got to the box office, picked up our tickets and ran into Lori, whom I used to work with. I didn’t recognize her at first – not because she looks different - but because I thought she was working at the Palms. She is doing well and loving her job at the Hard Rock, which is always good to hear. Went inside to inspect the newer, larger, version of the Joint. It is big – maybe too big. I liked the old one as it was a bit more intimate, but time will tell whether the new hall will be as big a success. Ran into others from work, Claudia & Kevin, and The Moss and happily took in the free drinks before getting the show started. Just before kick off, Lori came and offered us a VIP booth, and who were we to say no.

Santana came on stage and instantly I was a 10 year-old kid on vacation again. Dad used to have Santana’s “Black Magic Woman” and The Who’s “Who’s Next” playing in the car whenever we were going on a road trip. From the very first song I was transported into the back of the Kombi, headed north on the Pacific Highway.

And the show. It was magic! Santana played a great mix of old and newer material. He is not the greatest performer, preferring to stand at the back of the stage, out of the limelight, so to speak. But is guitar playing was superb. My favorite for the night was She’s Not There, which I later found out was the first time he had played the song for 15 years. The venue also turned out to be pretty good – but let’s see what I think in coming months when I’m on the floor for Rancid and No Doubt.

If you are coming to Vegas, this is probably the newest “do not miss” show. Hopefully I’ll go and see this again.

Santana Setlist The Joint at Hard Rock Hotel, Las Vegas, NV, USA, A Trip Through The Hits 2009


The Crap Facts:
This is my 285th concert.
The New Joint is the 77th venue I've seen a concert.
This is my 84th concert in Las Vegas.
This is my 84th concert in Nevada.
This is my 93rd concert in the USA.
Santana is the 355th band I've seen.

1 comment:

  1. What's a vacation? I believe it is a holiday where you are from?!?
    Oh, and how many times do you recall the Kombi breaking down on the Pacific Hwy?

    ReplyDelete