Monday, April 13, 2009

The Hold Steady & War On Drugs @ Beauty Bar

Here's what I knew about The Hold Steady. My brother in law loves them. And I keep hearing the phrase "Best Bar Band in America". So it's off to my first show at The Beauty Bar downtown to see if they can live up to the hype.

Got there early enough to see War On Drugs play their (incredibly short) set. They play some melodic, slower rock. Nice. Lead singer seemed pissed about something, but they sounded good nonetheless.

By the time The Hold Steady came on (11.15pm - too late for this old guy on a school night) the back patio at the Beauty Bar was pretty full. And yes, I did say the back patio. This outdoor venue is good for a few hundred people at the back of the main bar. God knows why I haven't been here before (and in hindsight am kicking myself for missing the Detroit Cobras last fall). There were some problems wih the vocals for the first couple of songs, but nothing wrong with the band. They were into it from the word go and put on a memorable show. They definitely lived up to the hype and hopefully success comes their way. Now I have to go away and find some of their music, so next time I can fully get into it, though that wont be possible before next Friday at Coachella.

The Hold Steady Setlist The Beauty Bar, Las Vegas, NV, USA 2009


The Crap Facts:
This is my 278th concert.
Beauty Bar is the 74th venue I've seen a concert.
This is my 81st concert in Las Vegas.
This is my 81st concert in Nevada.
This is my 86th concert in the USA.
War On Drugs are the 335th band I've seen.
The Hold Steady are the 336th band I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment