Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Bloc Party @ Hollywood Palladium



So because on Thursday I had to pick up my cousin, Moz, and head out to Coachella, I decided to drive down to LA the night before and catch Bloc Party start their current US tour.

Got to the venue, a mile from the Super 8 I'm staying in, early and found out what time Bloc Party were due on stage. I had enough time to wander up and down Sunset Blvd, grab a quick bite at Dennys (Have you ever noticed how many Dennys there are in Southern California?), and get into the Palladium before they took the stage. What I didn't know is that the Palladium only allow so many people on the main floor to watch the bands, and I was one of the unfortunate ones without the coveted yellow wristband.

I took up my spot in an uncrowded area next to the sound booth and listened to the crowd roar as Bloc Party took the stage. I mention this because Vegas audiences are either too cool or not quite as enthusiastic to a lot of bands. I have a 3 Bloc Party albums, Silent Alarm being my favorite, but the others grow on me the more I hear them. It wasn't until the starting bass of Positive Tension that I started to get getting super hyped. They played a great mix of all 3 albums with, obviously, a heavier tint towards Intimacy. The band had a good rapport with the crowd and looked like they were having a good time. Overall this was the best of 3 Bloc Party shows I've seen and was left wanting for more when each encore was was finished with Helicopter and This Modern Love respectively.

Bloc Party Setlist Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, CA, USA 2009


P.S. Celebrity Spotting: Ignorantly it wasn't until a few days later when I saw TV On The Radio did I realize their drummer, Jaleel Bunton, stood next to me for a couple of songs.

The Crap Facts:
This is my 279th concert.
Hollywood Palladium is the 75th venue I've seen a concert.
Hollywood is the 39th city I've seen a concert.
California is the 10th state I've seen a concert.
This is my 87th concert in the USA.
This is my 3rd Bloc Party concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment