Sunday, August 9, 1998

Festival Sudoeste, Zambujeira do Mar, Portugal

The last day was spent lazing under our makeshift tarp that the group put up between four tents to keep us shaded and cooler. Very little was done today because of the heat. The showers stopped working for three hours, so there was no relief even there.

Camping, Festival Sudoeste, Zabujeira do Mar, Portugal

Simon, Kirsty, Roberta, Andrea, Me, Katrina, Jeff & Rohan, 
Festival Sudoeste, Zabujeira do Mar, Portugal

At eight pm we went back into the arena for the final surge of music.

First up tonight was Placebo, an English guitar band. The rest of our gang new this band, but I’d never heard of them. But they were great. Sound was good and I really enjoyed their songs. I hope they come to Australia. I’d see them again. Their lead singer has a unique voice, which compliments the good music. A good find!

Placebo Setlist Festival do Sudoeste 1998 1998, Without You I'm Nothing

PJ Harvey was next. This is another excellent set. Harvey has such a strong voice and a huge stage presence, making her a popular choice for this festival crowd. Another person whose music I need to look more into (I only know her from her Henry Lee duet with Nick Cave.)

PJ Harvey Setlist Festival do Sudoeste 1998 1998, Is This Desire?

The last band of the festival was Portishead. There trip-hop style is not something I’d normally listen too, but this was a fantastic show. I knew a couple of songs and am now swayed to look for some of their albums. Portishead left the stage to thunderous applause and seemed genuinely humbled by the whole experience.

While there was still another band to come on at 1.30 am Portuguese Silence 4, we decided to go out on the high and call it quits, heading back to the tent.

Portishead Setlist Festival do Sudoeste 1998 1998



The Crap Facts
This is my 151st concert.
This is my 3rd concert at Herdade de Casa Branca.
This is my 3rd concert in Zambujeira do Mar.
This is my 3rd concert in Alentejo.
This is my 3rd concert in Portugal.
Placebo are the 199th band I've seen.
PJ Harvey is the 200th band I've seen.
Portishead are the 201st band I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment