Tuesday, August 11, 1998

Lisbon, Portugal

It was 5.30 am when the rooster started making noise this morning. Much to the delight of nobody! I was still feeling ill today, but I wanted to make the most of our only day in Lisbon.

We caught the bus to Montijo and just missed a ferry into Lisbon. It was 90 minutes until the next one, so we found a palm tree to lie under in the vein hope of recovering from whatever it is I’ve got. The eventual ferry ride was relaxing. Nice and warm, and I felt better with the wind blowing in my face.

When we got off in Lisbon, I started to feel even worse than yesterday. I needed an easy day. We caught the train to the Botanic Gardens. Roberta bought herself some lunch and while I spent the afternoon covered in shade, Roberta had a short look around town.

At 5.30 pm I was well enough to walk to the city center, where we had a look around at some of the old buildings. At this point my fever had subsided and I even attempted some dinner at one of the many restaurants along one of the city’s malls. I didn’t eat too much, but at least I was feeling better.

We caught the 8.30 pm ferry back to Montijo and was back home by 9.30 pm to see everyone from the festival, including Pedro, who had decided to hang with us while we were all in Lisbon. I wish we were staying for another two days now. We all went for a drink at the bar before pulling up stumps at midnight, when temporary goodbyes were said, as I’m sure we’ll keep bumping into each other for the next few Eurobus stops.

No comments:

Post a Comment