Saturday, July 11, 1998

Bordeaux, France

Day two in Bordeaux saw us start the morning off the same way, with a long walk into town. This time, though, it was via a football store to see if I could get any bargains, seeing the World Cup was coming to an end (I couldn’t). We also found an internet café, so took some time to send messages back home.

After this, Roberta and I separated, as she went on a wine trip to St. Etienne, while I stayed in town.

I walked up to Jardin Public (Bordeaux’s Botanic Gardens) and sat and read in the park for a while.

I then walked all the way up to Mondial Café. This is a “park” set up on the Garrone River for the World Cup. It had some bars and eateries and a huge screen showing highlights of the previous matches. I sat and watched for ages. It’s a shame we won’t be here tomorrow night when France plays in the final. I imagine it will be nuts.

After my daily football intake, I headed back south, through the shopping district, until I came to Musee d’Aquataine. This is a museum that explained the archeological history of the Bordeaux region, dating back 700,000 years. It showed the usual ceramics and tools through the ages. It also contained a Roman section, as the Romans occupied this area from 52 BC. (At which time the area was called Burdigala.) The exhibition continued through medieval times right through until today, showing its grape growing / wine making and oyster farming facilities.

When I finished up there, after two hours, I walked back to the hotel and arrived 15 minutes before Roberta. We walked up the road to a Chinese restaurant, Palais de Jade, where we had a huge meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment