Sunday, January 22, 2023

The Schizophonics & Powder Horns @ Grey Eagle


I was looking online for shows to see.  Things get a little sparse in Charlotte in the winter.  I saw the name Schizophinics at the Grey Eagle in Asheville.  Interesting name.  Then this was the review written by the venue: “heavily influenced by artists like JAMES BROWN, IGGY POP, JIMI HENDRIX, LITTLE RICHARD, and THE SONICS.” and "Like watching some insane hybrid of WAYNE KRAMER, JAMES BROWN, and the Tasmanian Devil".  How could I say no?

It was a game day decision.  Covid, migraines and laziness have seen me miss a few out of town shows of recent (Courtney Barnett, Billy Bragg, Gwar, Local H).  But while it was a cold, rainy Sunday, I felt the need to drive up to Asheville to see this band.  Great decision!

I arrived as the Powder Horns were in the middle of their set.  I like when a local band can play a good venue.  And while I thought the Powder Horns were good, they had a tight set and are obviously good musicians, there was nothing for me that stood out.

The Schizophonics however were another story.  Walking onto stage with no fanfare, to an audience who, like me, that may not even have known who they were.  This tight 3 piece was on fire from the start.  Singer/guitarist/general maniac Pat Beers may have used more energy during the first song than any hurricane could ever produce.  A small crowd milled around the venue, looking at each other as if to say "What are we witnessing here?".  And when Beers called for the crowd to come forward after the first song, a fully hypnotized crowd (myself included) just jaw-droppingly said OK and moved to the very front of the stage.  We then preceded to get a lesson in rock and roll.  Their bass player, who just travelled back in time for the 60's/70's Carnaby Street, was into it and drummer, Letty Beers, kept a frantic driving beat, while looking like she was out for Sunday walk.  Pat Beers has IT!  Some aura or exuding presence which meant it was hard to watch the rest of the band, because he is so electric.  And frantic!  He didn't stop the whole show - and remember he sings and lays guitar.  I only caught the name of 2 songs, Pendulum and Hoof It.  Both excellent.  After an hour and a bit of rawkus rock and roll, it all came to a sweaty end.  It was exhausting, in a good way, just to be in the audience - God only knows how the band felt.

Having said that it wasn't 10 minutes later that Letty was at the merch booth selling and mixing with the crowd.  I couldn't help myself, I bought 2 albums, People in The Sky and Hoof It.  This band was so good.  They have to come back to North Carolina again.  I'd travel for it for sure.



The Crap Facts:
This is my 482nd concert.
This is my 3rd show at The Grey Eagle
This is my 11th show in Asheville.
This is my 115th show in North Carolina.
This is my 285th concert in the US.
Powder Horns are the 554th band I've seen.
The Schizophonics are the 555th band I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment