Saturday, May 14, 2022

Hamilton @ Belk Theatre

 

I'm ready!  After all the hype, we are finally getting to see Hamilton.  This is Amy's Xmas present and the first time we've been to a show since Come From Away 2 years ago.

After a quick bite at Rooster's, and some people watching out the front, we went into our seats at the back of the Orchestra level.  It's a full house (as I expected), but noticeably groups of women dominated the theatre.  But also thrown in with a good mix of couples and families.

An historical-politically-themed-rap-musical!  How was that initially pitched?  Because it's like nothing else I heard of in musicals.  

For me - I enjoyed it.  Great story, (even though it is not a history I know - I wonder how well this plays overseas?), great set and well performed by a great cast.  Though it had too much musical formula in it i.e., the old 3 people singing different songs at the same time and songs with the same melody you could sing to most other musicals I've seen.  Having said that, Amy loved it! (which is most important), as did the rest of the audience as a whole.

Very rarely is there such a thing as a bad night out, and we had fun tonight - which has been rare in the last 2 years.  Would I go and see it again?  If I had to.  Would Amy?  Probably tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment