Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club & Pete International Airport @ The Underground


A small venue and a (disappointingly smallish - half full) crowd made for the perfect venue for tonight's show.  I don't know why Black Rebel Motorcycle Club aren't a bigger band - or is it Charlotte is not into rock.

I got in early to catch Pete International Airport.  Not really my thing - kind of an ambient, shoegaze rock.  It was a really short set though and it seemed like a minimal setup was needed to get BRMC on stage.

A 3 song start up from the new album "Wrong Creatures" was great, but things really got started with Beat The Devil's Tattoo.  Berlin was excellent, as was Dirty Ol' Town.  The set was laden with 9 songs from the new album which I'm unfamiliar with but still the set flowed well, and the crowd reaction was great.  When an amp blew during White Palms, I thought that might be the end of the night, but out of nowhere, much to the joy of the crowd, the sound came back on.  After that, Six Barrell Shogun and Spread Your Love (still one of my all time favorite songs) finished off the 'main set".  Technically BRMC went straight into their encore, as so much time was lost with the blown amp.  The last 3 songs could not have been better Red Eyes & Tears and Awake gave the audience a chance to recover from the previous 3, then it all exploded again with Whatever Happened To My Rock n Roll.  And despite the amp blowing again, BRMC played on and allowed the audience to finish the song for them.

2 hours has been better than normal for headliners I've seen lately.  Maybe it's a thank you for those of us who had tickets for the show earlier in the year that had to be postponed due to illness.  Maybe it was the crowd's enthusiasm.  Regardless it was another great BRMC show.  Not sure why it's been 7 years since I last saw them, but won't wait that long again.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club Setlist The Underground, Charlotte, NC, USA 2018, Wrong Creatures


The Crap Facts:
This is my 438th concert.
This is my 2nd concert at The Underground.
This is my 71st concert in Charlotte.
This is my 81st concert in North Carolina.
This is my 244th concert in the USA.
Pete International Airport is the 505th band I've seen.
This is my 4th Black Rebel Motorcycle Club concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment