Sunday, February 11, 2018

Robert Plant & His Sensational Space Shifters & Seth Lakeman at Ovens Auditorium


I know it's not Led Zeppelin.  I know he is past his prime.  But it's Robert Plant! How can you not be curious as to how this legend still carries a tune.

Opener, and eventually part-time Space Shifter, Seth Lakeman played solo to start the night.  He had the crowd captivated playing some original, some traditional music.  But we all know what everyone was there for....

I had bought pre-sale tickets and had not been given an indication as to where these tickets were.  But we were just to the right of stage in the 2nd row.  Could barely have asked for more.  The Space Shifters stuff was pretty good, but the crowd really reacted when Plant played the Zeppelin stuff.  That's The Way and the set finisher Misty Mountain Hop were fantastic.  I also fondly remember Please Read The Letter, from an album he did with Allison Krauss).  When the encore started I was transported back to my childhood.  In The Mood was on an album dad had, and a song I loved as a kid.  It was a song that I had forgotten was his, and such an honor and pleasure to hear it live.  After that song the guitarist went on a winding psychedelic opening, but suddenly put his foot on the pedal, changing the sound to the distinct to accompany the opening riff to Whole Lotta Love - and the crowd went APESHIT!  5 minutes of musical heaven.  Unfortunately Plant's voice doesn't quiet get to those higher notes anymore, but as someone who was never old enough to see Led Zeppelin live, a better song to finish the set there could not have been.

Robert Plant Setlist Ovens Auditorium, Charlotte, NC, USA 2018, Carry Fire

The Crap Facts:
This is my 435th concert.
This is my 2nd concert at Ovens Auditorium.
This is my 69th concert in Charlotte.
This is my 78th concert in North Carolina.
This is my 241st concert in the USA.
Seth Lakeman is the 499th band I've seen.
Robert Plant & His Sensational Space Shifters are the 500th band I've seen

No comments:

Post a Comment