Monday, July 20, 2015

Primus & Dinosaur Jr @ The Fillmore


Is it 1995 again?  This is an awesome time warp to 2 bands that I discovered in my (ahem cough-cough) 20's.  A line-up that will be hard to beat for a while.

One thing I always forget to take to a show is earplugs - so obvious, and considering this is show number 392, you'd think I'd get my act together.  But one thing you know is Dinosaur Jr will be LOUD!, so this time I was prepared and from the very first notes I couldn't have been happier about having earplugs.  Mind you after a few songs, and hearing them break into Out There, the plugs came out to enjoy a wall of sound.  Feel The Pain and The Cure's Just Like Heaven were also awesome, but it was Freak Scene that did it for me.  This is a Top 25 all time favorite song and hearing/seeing it live is just the best. This was my 5th Dinosaur Jr show, and sadly the first in 10 years (when they killed it at a not-full-enough House Of Blues in Vegas).  Hope it doesn't take that long to see this classic line up again.

And that was just the opening act.

Dinosaur Jr. Setlist The Fillmore, Charlotte, NC, USA 2015


Primus had been doing a lot of their Chocolate Factory record recently but, gladly, this was a regular(!?) show.  The crowd were buzzed and once the chorus of the first song, Those Damned Blue-Collar Tweekers, hit Primus owned the Fillmore.  As usual they had a great visual background to compliment the show - the video of Wynona's is Primus at it's best. Tommy The Cat is another of a top 25 all-time favorite songs but it was not to be played (disappointingly tonight), however, at my 7th show they finally played Mr Krinkle, a song I've waited 20 years live to hear - and it was everything I thought it would be.  One of my faults in seeing Primus, is that I can't take my eyes off Les Claypool as I watch in wonder as he pulls off the most interesting bass lines of any band I've ever seen.  I tend to forget how great Ler LaLonde and Tim Alexander are.  My Name Is Mud and Jerry Was A  Race Car Driver were a great finish to the night.  I moved side stage to watch the 2 song encore and get a different perspective of the show (actually I was positioned to get out the door as soon as the show was over to beat the crowds.

A superb night by 2 great bands.  I think it will be a while before I see a line up this good again.

Primus Setlist The Fillmore, Charlotte, NC, USA 2015, 2015 U.S. Tour


The Crap Facts:
This is my 391st concert.
This is my 11th concert at The Fillmore.
This is my 36th concert in Charlotte.
This is my 40th concert in North Carolina.
This is my 199th concert in the USA.
This is the 5th time I've seen Dinosaur Jr.
This is the 7th time I've seen Primus.

No comments:

Post a Comment