Friday, September 12, 2014

Riot Fest @ Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL

We are staying in downtown as I couldn't find any accommodations near Humboldt Park.  Once we worked out it was only a $20 cab ride, and a taxi stand was staged for our return we were even happier with the hotel.  The get home however as a different story - which I'll mention later.  We got to the venue not long after the gates opened and wandered around the wet grounds to get a feel for how to get between the stages (7 in all - but we are only interested in 4).

Our first band (as the rain began) was GWAR on 1 of the 2 smaller stages.  I had always wanted to see them, and thought with Oderus' death, I may have missed my opportunity.  Fortunately this is no the case.  And I don't have to be the guy that compares them pre-and-post Oderus.  The music itself is not for me, but lyrically and theatrically this act is hilarious.  Even with the continuous rain throughout the day, you could tell who was up the front for GWAR.  Covered in "blood" and with a permanent smile on their faces.

GWAR Setlist Riot Fest Chicago 2014 2014

We walked around to the main stages and watched Failure.  Sorry, but there was nothing impressive about this band.  No stage presence, no audience connection and no good songs.

Failure Setlist Riot Fest Chicago 2014 2014

It was a matter of turning around to the other stage to see NoFX.  By now the temperature had dropped blow 40 and the drizzle to light rain had settled in but NoFX were on fire.  Everyone seemed to be in Fat Mikes cross hairs, whether it be Failure, Henry Rollins or the crowd - everyone got a serve with some funny between song banter.  NoFX were one of 10 bands scheduled to play one of their albums from start to finish, but in typical NoFX fashion "Punk In Drublic" was not played in order.  I thought Leave It Alone and Don't Call Me White were excellent, and this show rivaled their Punk Rock Bowling performance of 2012.  Unfortunately they decided to finish with the epic The Decline but were cut short due to time constraints - maybe a little less Fat Mike abuse would've fit it in.

NOFX Setlist Riot Fest Chicago 2014 2014

As NoFX continued talking into the now turned off microphone, Gogol Bordello sauntered on stage and, in their unique gypsy-punk way, tore Humboldt Park apart.  This band's energy knows no bounds, which is great, because you can only have fun at a Gogol show.  The only song I knew the name of was Start Wearing Purple and it definitely was a crowd favorite.  Darkness had fallen by the end of the set and you had forgotten it as cold and wet because Humboldt Park was literally steaming as Gogol Bordello finished.  This was my first conflict of bands for the festival.  Mastodon were also playing at the same time on another stage.  Fortunately whatever the choice I was going to win, Ultimately I went for the convenience of location - and happily so.

Turning around again for some nostalgia.  The Offspring playing the 20 year old (gulp!) Smash in its entirety.  I remember seeing them in January 95 at Selina's in Coogee.  It still ranks as one of the 10 best shows I've ever seen.  Today it seems like - well - we're all 20 years older.  Songs seem a little slower, some notes can't quite be made and the bands energy (given this is an outdoor venue and the Coogee Bay was a 1200 person barn) is not as high tempo.  That said it was great to hear some old faves.  Come Out & Play, Self Esteem and Gotta Get Away all bought back some good memories.

The Offspring Setlist Riot Fest Chicago 2014, Punk Rock Summer Nationals 2014

Next conflict: Jane's Addiction playing Nothing's Shocking or Slayer doing Reign In Blood?  I went with Slayer, having never seen them before.  Erik stayed for Jane's and I walked over to the smaller stages and got a really good spot.  Even surrounded by Slayer fans but I still couldn't get into that much.  Sound was muddy and swirling (no pun intended considering the weather).  Maybe I was just done for the day.  It was so cold by the end I couldn't get money out of my wallet to buy a t-shirt.  

Slayer Setlist Riot Fest Chicago 2014, North American Tour 2014

Overall a great 1st day...until we attempted to get home.  While we were pretty high up on the cab line, there was not a cab to be found.  After half an hour we gave up and started walking back to the city, until something came along.  About an hour into it a bus come past saying it was headed to Navy Pier.  Close enough to the hotel for me.  Ended up being an easy, inexpensive ride which will be our savior the next 2 days.


The Crap Facts:
This is my 379th concert.
Humboldt Park is the 105th venue I've seen a concert.
Chicago is the 45th city I've seen a concert.
Illinois is the 12th state I've seen a concert.
This is my 187th concert in the USA.
Gwar are the 443rd band I've seen.
Failure are the 444th band I've seen.
This is my 3rd NoFX show.
This is my 3rd Gogol Bordello concert.
This is my 5th Offspring concert.
Slayer are the 445th band I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment