Friday, June 17, 2011

Flaming Lips @ Cosmopolitan Pool



Another new venue. Another new band. Yes my first Flaming Lips show ever. Have never been a huge fan of the music but I had been lead to believe their shows had to be seen.

The night started not so well. Eric and I were picking Robbie up at the airport (from his 6.20pm flight) and we were going to go and eat before heading to the show. However the wonderful United had some sort of computer malfunction saw his flight arrive at 9.30. We raced over to the Cosmo, parked, got into the pool area just as Flaming Lips hit the stage.

From the word go, this was not the average musical concert. It was a visual spectacular. Between streamers, confetti canons, the video screen behind the band, the hotels marquee and the music - this was one hell of a show. We got a beer and got to our viewing point to see this...

Wayne Coyne

Flaming Lips At The Cosmo Pool

The Lips are definitely a musicians band. They are great at what they do, and don't necessarily make use of straight forward methods in creating their art. The sound was great and my faves were, obviously, the songs I new - She Don't Use Jelly, Yoshimi Part 1 and Do You Realize. Eric was pleased enough to get a shirt. I am in self exile from black t-shirts until we leave Vegas. Even Rob liked it - which is surprising compared to the differences we have in music (me - rock and punk; him - Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks soundtracks). Was really excited about the venue as well. Not a gazillion people but good viewing for everyone. Can't wait to see the TV On The Radio / Arctic Monkeys show in September (and maybe get Ben Harper tickets as well).

This is the first time since Coachella 09 I've been to a show with a cell phone / camera so hopefully future tales will have more pics (though I don't want to be THAT guy). Also will see the Flaming Lips at any opportunity. If you get the chance, do the same.

Flaming Lips



The Flaming Lips Setlist Boulevard Pool at The Cosmopolitan, Las Vegas, NV, USA 2011, 2011 Summer Tour


The Crap Facts:
This is my 318th concert.
Cosmopolitan Pool is the 86th venue I've seen a concert.
This is my 113th concert in Las Vegas.
This is my 113th concert in Nevada.
This is my 125th concert in the USA.
The Flaming Lips are the 384th band I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment