Saturday, September 25, 2010

Pixies & Fuck Buttons @ The New Joint


I listened to Doolittle, my one and only Pixies album, on the drive to the Joint. This is another band I had never really gotten into (not sure why not) but they were a favorite of a favorite of mine (Nirvana), so Erik and I went to check them out.

Firstly though we had to endure the Fuck Buttons. Like Animal Collective, the Fuck Buttons are a couple of guys making electronic noise and boring the shit out of me. I understand that people have a wide variety of music tastes and that some people would like this (I'm looking at you Moz), but there is a time and a place. Surely being a band for 20 plus years, the Pixies could have come up with a better support act. Either that or it was genius to put such an ordinary support on the slot, so that way you look so good it is ridiculous.

The Pixies entrance was accompanied by a video in the background, which was highly surreal. The whole crowd cringed in horror as the clip showed a donkey's eye being slit. I had heard a movie that had this, but it was the only part of the movie I knew of. As it turns out, this was the move. The Luis Bunuel / Salvador Dali "Un Chien Andalou". The surrealists 16 minute silent film was the backdrop to the Pixies taking the stage.

So ignorant was I of the Pixies that as they started I found out that the tour was to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Doolittle. Which means at least I'd know some of the songs. And from the start the band had the crowd partying. A few b-sides and songs before Debaser sent the crowd into a frenzy. Pixies then proceeded to play Doolittle from start to finish. Great sound (the best at the New Joint since No Doubt) and a rockin', visual, quick set. When they finished after Gouge Away they made a big deal about farewelling the crowd. It looked like we were only going to get an hour - not happy (but it would give me the opportunity to possibly get to the Las Vegas Country Saloon to see a mate's band, Ditch Diggers, perform. Wheels were almost in motion until after a short break the Pixies were back on stage for the first of 2 encores.

Overall a great show, considering I wasn't familiar with a lot of their work, but the highlights for me were Debaser, Monkey Gone To Heaven and, from the 2nd encore, Where is My Mind? Another band off the bucket list.

Pixies Setlist The Joint at Hard Rock Hotel, Las Vegas, NV, USA 2010


The Crap Facts:
This is my 301st concert.
This is my 6th concert at The New Joint.
This is my 98th concert in Las Vegas.
This is my 98th concert in Nevada.
This is my 109th concert in the USA.
Fuck Buttons are the 373rd band I've seen.
The Pixies are the 374th band I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment