Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Gaslight Anthem & Murder By Death @ San Diego House Of Blues, CA


Part 2 of the road trip sees me head down to San Diego. I left Spoon in Hollywood at about 11.30am, after breakfast at Mel's Diner.

On the way south, I stopped in Carlsbad to catch up with the Nagle family. Saw Chris and Casi in July, so twice in a year is unusual for us. They have a great place right near the beach and their son Baden is a little man now - hadn't seen him for 2 1/2 years. Also got to catch up with Nags' parents, who had flown in from Oz yesterday. After a drink at the local, I pushed on down to San Diego, twas slow going in afternoon traffic.

Got checked into the Comfort Inn in the downtown Gaslamp District, before a quick wander around in search of food. Wednesday night may not be the best day to do this as downtown seems to be a ghost town. Ended up having a quick bite at Buca di Bepo (first time I'd eaten there and won't be racing back).

The House Of Blues was only 3 blocks from the hotel and I got there early in case it was like the Vegas one, where all ages shows finish at 10pm. Walked in as Murder By Death were coming on stage. I know nothing of this band, but I thought they had a good sound - rock with a cellist is not something you see every day. But again this not the reason I'm here.

The Gaslight Anthem came on to mild applause - which turns out to be standard fare for the San Diego crowd. However Gaslight Anthem put on a energetic, entertaining show. All of their songs are a great stories, and you can see in their performance that they love what they do. It took a few songs but Brian Fallon's between song banter also has a story-telling feel. I got into The Gaslight Anthem earlier this year, when Drew gave me a copy of "The 59 Sound", and I've been hooked ever since. Tonight's performance has highlighted most of that album and a couple that I had not heard of. After just over an hour on stage, they came back for a 3 song encore, which included a rousing cover of Tom Petty's "American Girl".

While this show did not reach the fever pitch of last night's Arctic Monkeys performance, I am glad I made the effort to get down to see them (again not coming through Vegas). Having said that this show was miles ahead of their quick performance at Coachella earlier this year - which, although feeling sick, I really enjoyed.

The Gaslight Anthem Setlist House of Blues, San Diego, CA, USA 2009




The Crap Facts:
This is my 291st concert.
House Of Blues San Diego is the 79th venue I've seen a concert.
San Diego is the 42nd city I've seen a concert in.
This is my 6th concert in California.
This is my 99th concert in the USA.
Murder By Death is the 293rd band I've seen.
This is my 2nd Gaslight Anthem concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment