Sunday, July 8, 2001

Samos, Greece

What I remember (in 2024)
Samos was a cruisy week.  We caught the ferry over from Kusadasi in the morning and landed in Samos Town without a plan.  We were approached by a gentleman who stated he and his parents had a hotel and offered us a room.  He took other guests up and came back and drove us to this hotel on the water.
We spent most time around Samos City.  dining in town was an adventure as sometimes we couldn't order certain foods because the boat bringing them in had broken down.
Another hotel down the road had a cocktail happy hour at sunset, so we were there frequently.
I had a problem with my stomach so I went to the hospital to get help.  The hospital was under construction and floor boards were missing everywhere.  It took 3 doctors, who spoke a mixture of Greek, Italian and English, to get me a diagnosis and medication, which, while I don't know what it was, seemed to walk.  At one point I was lying on a bed and looked up at the doctors, remember this is in a hospital, and all 3 of them were discussing whatever, while smoking.
We rented a car one day and aimlessly drove around the island.  We drove up to the highest peak, as well as a beach, where we spent the afternoon.  It was just nice to have no plans and relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment